Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What's the Deal?

Graduation is looming close. The frenzied e-mails are rocketing across the web alerting the seniors to their "week" and all the party atmosphere that befits a graduating medical student. A multitude of official people are hosting lunches, brunches, dinners, and the ever popular gala in our honor - all expenses paid (I believe in part by the class dues).

It reminds me of the events surrounding my undergrad when I was allowed to finally leave without having to harass another dean about credits. And once again I'm filled with the enormous feeling of, ah, what's that word? ah yes...triviosity.

Graduating is a big deal - I guess - but I'm really not looking forward to the splendor, the hullabaloo, and the party. After all, it's just another accomplishment in one's life that, while young and fresh, seemed quite splendid, but now reeks of "tradition" and disappointment.

I feel that, if not for my family coming in to town to witness this miraculous transformation, I'd prefer to not even be there. It's going to be long, boring, and filled with self-congratulatory diatribes and praise. Shudder.

Plus we get the extra pleasure of witnessing both the dental and graduate studies schools graduate at the same time. Like I care about people I've never, or rarely ever, dealt with. Let's just get it over with already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I graduated with my MSW last weekend. And you're right. My graduation was more about the alumni association than about the people getting degrees. Also people didn't know how to behave properly at a graduation ceremony--they were on cell phones and left after their school was honored etc. If I had known all that, I wouldn't have gone.

Anyway, congratulations to you. Looking forward to reading about your residency.

The Lone Coyote said...

I've been amazed at how much this build-up to the end of medical school resembles the end of high school... large group outings to "hang out" and remember the last 4 years, the class yearbook, and of course all of the awards ceremonies and dinners. We just need a prom (which has occurred in the past) and we're all set to go.

Anonymous said...

LC,

I didn't even make the connection, but it does feel like high school. God, what a pathetic attempt to make ourselves feel uber-important.